Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Cabbage for breakfast

Food is often a challenge when traveling, but I am really enjoying most foods-lots of veggies. We have cabbage for breakfast with different kinds of egg and noodles. I love pickled papya, dragon fruit (a kind of giant kiwi) good ole tofu, lots of green veggies, Pho soup, sweet green paste buns-yum. The only food I've regreted is fried chicken blood. I had to try... and I stay away from dog meat...too sad. I noticed in the country side that people like animals-dogs, pigs, cats, goats and they wander freely and enjoy affection and kind treatment--up to a point! Then they become puppy casserole...

1 comment:

  1. How fantastic. I still drool at the thought of real Pho and cringe at some of the mystery meat sandwiches, sold unchilled off of street carts. Tasty, but not if you thought about what was inside. I did avoid the "Road Kill Cafe" in Hue.

    I'm sure your presence with Marge is so meaningful to her as well as you having incredible opportunities because of having her as a traveling companion.

    The beauty of the countryside, the acknowledgment of my naivety at the time of the war (even though I protested it consistently), the realization that Americans brought numerous beneficial aspects into some people's lives, the insidiousness of the American brainwashing of the public were all important learnings of my trip.

    Thank you for bringing all those memories back to life.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete