Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A Tour to Ha Long Bay




















The Ha Long Bay is a UNESCO World Heritage site that has become a major tourist destination of Asia. The bay is filled with unearthly limestone mountains and caves and the water in the bay is a deep emerald green. Tour boats are built in Vietnam to resemble ancient junk boats and the service level is high. It is quite a beautiful place and though somewhat crowded, still peaceful. I worry that the load on the environment is already causing problems of pollution and habitat. There were monkey and bird populations once,but they have moved away deeper in the islands and away from the constant tour boats. There is also a native fishing population who have turned from fishing to the service industry, selling everything from trinkets to fish. Some of the touring was ardous, climbing in and out of slippery boats and up and down uneven steps in the caves, but we had a wonderful time. In the cave the guide pointed out stalagmites that looked like Ho Chi Minh...In the U.S, we would have said they look like Micky Mouse I'm sure. Anyway, a very very beautiful place and a prosperous tourism strategy.

1 comment:

  1. That misty picture of Ha Lam Bay is exquisite! Don't loose that one!
    I do not know how my name as "follower" came to be listed as Sarly! Not so bad as a name, but it is just an accident. I have had worse accidents as I wander in Internet-land , just trying to find my way.
    Thanks for the blog, and my very best wishes.
    Sara G

    ReplyDelete